Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

That night..

Our new reality is life without one of our sons here on earth. It is hard, it is physically painful [I know what a physically broken heart feels like], it is exhausting, it is excruciating. I don't think we were prepared to lose him. We had some amazing days with him and everything seemed to be going in the right direction, even though they were the tiniest of baby steps. Then a Friday morning came with a 5am phone call from the hospital that Malachi had coded, but they were able to get him back and he was doing 'ok'. The rest of that day included doctor visits from pulmonology, ultrasound (for an echo cardiogram), cardiology, and ultimately the chief neonatologist. The chief informed us that the echo had shown that Malachi's pulmonary hypertension had severely worsened since his last echo 2 weeks prior, even the cardiologist was shocked at how much worse it had gotten. His heart was severely enlarged and not effectively pumping blood through his body. The doctor told us they just didn't know what this meant. Sometimes this issue heals with time and other times it does not and leads to death. There is no specific treatment, there was nothing they could've done even if they had seen it earlier than when they did. LaRon and I spent a lot of time together with our baby boy that Friday. We prayed over him, for one MORE miracle, we kissed him, we read him his books, we held his hands, kissed his perfect face and features, told him how much he was loved, then went home to our 2 yr old. 3:12am my phone rang, the nurse told me Malachi was coding and we needed to get to the hospital. The rush ensued, we left the house in record time. 3:23am my phone rings again, the hospital, I think a part of me knew what was happening, I didn't want to answer it. I did. The doctor with the most heartbreaking, earth shattering, faith testing, horrible news a parent could ever receive. All I remember her saying was "I'm so sorry Mrs.Gordon, I have some sad news..." she was gentle [as can be], I shattered into a million pieces. I remember screaming "no, no, no" over and over and over. The ride was a complete blur. We got to the hospital and to his room, I saw him and collapsed, LaRon helped me up. They had a private room for us that they took us to, then they placed him in my arms. For the first time I got to hold him, like 'normal', and see him without all the tubes and wires and beeping of machines. He was beautiful and perfect in every way. Immediately family came to be with us and to say goodbye. Nurses that had become a part of our family came to grieve with us. There were a ton of tears. Who am I kidding, there still are. We spent hours with him. One set of Malachi's godparents had taken Deuce for us, and towards the end of our time they brought him to the hospital. A moment I had wanted for so long about to take place, a moment I had wished for every day of this journey, but a moment I hated was happening that way. The 4 of us would finally all be together. Deuce would get to 'meet' his baby brother for the first time. Deuce was so sweet with him. So incredibly sweet. He knew who Malachi was and kept saying "that's baby Chi" (he's the one who nicknamed him, even before he was born). I was holding Malachi and Deuce was on LaRon's lap next to me. Deuce pointed at his nose, eyes, ears, and mouth (he's very into naming these) then kissed his forehead and gave his baby brother loves. It's a moment I will treasure forever. The first moment I felt we had really become a family of 4. I think the second hardest part to getting "the phone call" was when it came time to leave the hospital, with empty arms, to kiss his perfect face one last time and lay him in a crib and walk away. Arms now empty and aching to hold him just one more time. A few days later we had a beautiful memorial service for our Malachi. Hundreds came to celebrate his incredible, yet too short life(I'll blog about that in the next post).
The words of love and encouragement that have come to us have been incredible. The stories of how Malachi touched so many lives are what holds us up and helps us to know that this journey was not in vain, we received a card from a family member today saying that Malachi's journey had brought her family back to prayer and back to The Lord, a Kingdom Changer our Malachi was/is. LaRon and I were even able to find some miracles in this horrible circumstance. Our baby boy has received his ultimate healing, he is no longer suffering or in pain, there are no more surgeries to endure, and he is being held by a greater love than even I have for him. He entered heaven completely pure and blameless, few can say that. Heaven trumpeted his arrival and the book of life didn't even have to be checked for his name, how incredible. A gracious miracle LaRon and I are also thankful for is that The Lord took him immediately, there was no suffering, his heart just stopped and never came back beating, we didn't have to make any decisions as parents as to stop care or for them to stop trying to bring him back. That is something that early in this journey we had prayed that if this situation came that The Lord would take him immediately and we would never have to choose. The Lord is gracious, and kind. We are comforted in knowing that God knows what our broken hearts feel like, as his son had to die too. We are confident that God will stitch the broken pieces back together, and even though it will never again look the same we know God will bring healing to our family.

2 comments:

  1. I wish there was something else to say, but I'm so sorry this happened to your family. It was such a joy following all his little successes and I would cheer at every baby step in the right direction. Every time I saw a post, I would get so excited. I couldn't wait to see pictures of him without the tubes or on his way home from the hospital. I'm so very sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I am not a human parent, I got a tiny taste of what it is like to loose a child when my dog died. My heart literally hurt and was wretched in pain. I just stood in the shower and cried and cried those "ugly cry" tears. I know the last few months have been gut wrenching as you heard good news then bad news. A wave of emotions. God knows what you feel when God Himself lost his only Son. May God help you heal as you cry those tears because tears can heal.
    One other thing that may help you is if you start to keep a journal. It could be an open "prayer book" or just your thoughts on why this happened. You could write how angry you have been because anger is an emotion that Jesus felt. You just have to be careful of what actions come from that anger. The journal idea is nice to have recorded what you felt a month later and you can refer back to it to track your healing. Much love from the South, Sarah

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye